Colonel Jefferson and Mr. Brooke set off for home on Saturday, November 15th. On Monday the 17th, most of the men being discharged, the horses, tents, etc., were set up at auction at Captain Downs’, and on the same day Mr. Lewis took leave of the “gentlemen commissioners” and started home. He arrived at Michael Woods’ about two o’clock, crossed the Blue Ridge that evening, spent the night at Samuel Gay’s and reached home on the 19th, having been absent two months and nine days.
The surveyors had agreed to meet at Colonel Jefferson’s the first of January “to make out what plans of the Northern Neck were wanted.” Therefore Mr. Lewis took to horse again on December 30th, and arrived at Colonel Jefferson’s on the 3d of January. The other surveyors, Mr. Brooke and Captain Winslo, not coming, he waited till the 14th, and then started to Essex county in search of them. He arrived at Mr. Brooke’s the night of the 15th, visited Colonel Beverley on the 16th, and in the evening went with Mr. Brooke to see Colonel Lomax.
On the 23d the surveyor’s assembled at Colonel Jefferson’s and began their “plans of the Northern Neck” the next day. But finding they wanted paper and other things, they had to send to Williamsburg for a supply. On Sunday, February 2d, says the journal, “we all rode down to Richmond church, where we heard the Rev. Mr. Stith preach. The gentlemen of the town treated us to a handsome dinner at Mr. Coale’s ordinary.” By February 21st Captain Winslo and Mr. Lewis “made seven plans of the Northern Neck on Lord Fairfax’s account, according to our instructions from Colonel Beverley,” and starting from Colonel Jefferson’s on the 22d, Mr. Lewis reached home on the 24th.
Colonel Jefferson’s permanent residence was at Shadwell, in Albemarle, which is seventy or eighty miles from Richmond; but at the time referred to, he was living temporarily at a place called Tuckahoe, near Richmond. [History of Albemarle County.]
The Rev. William Stith, author of the History of Virginia, was a nephew of Sir John Randolph, one of the original patentees of Beverley’s Manor. In 1738 he became rector of Henrico parish, and wrote his history in 1740 at Varina, a seat of one of the Randolphs on James river below Richmond. From 1752 till his death, in 1755, he was president of William and Mary College.
We have not followed Mr. Lewis’ spelling, which is decidedly “archaic,” to use a modern apologetic term. As he grew older he improved in orthography, as his later writings show.
On the 2d of July , 1744, a treaty was concluded at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, between Thomas Lee, member of the Council of State and one of the Judges of the Supreme Court of the Colony of Virginia, and William Beverley, Colonel and County Lieutenant of the county of Orange and member of the House of Burgesses, Commissioners appointed
Original programs & design copyright © EagleRidge Tech., Inc. 2005-2017. | Contact Us.
Edited Annals of Augusta County,Virginia, from 1726 to 1871 copyright © 2006-2017 by EagleRidge Technologies, Inc..