by the Governor of Virginia, and twenty-five chiefs of the Six United Nations of Indians. In consideration of four hundred pounds, current money of Pennsylvania, paid partly in goods and partly in gold money, the Indians renounced their right and claim to all the lands in the Colony of Virginia, and acknowledged the title thereto of the King of Great Britain. This is known as the Treaty of Lancaster, and the instrument was witnessed by James Patton, Robert Brooke, Jr., James Madison and others. The deed was proved in the General Court and ordered to be recorded. October 25, 1744.
Some dissatisfaction having arisen among the Indians in regard to the Treaty of Lancaster, a conference was held at Logstown, on the Ohio, in 1752, between chiefs of the Six Nations and Joshua Fry, Lunsford Lomax and James Patton, Commissioners of Virginia; and another deed was executed by six chiefs, consenting to the deed of July 2, 1744, and promising to assist and protect British subjects settled “on the southern or eastern part of the river called Alleghany.” This deed was dated June 13, 1752, and was witnessed by George Croghan, Thomas McKee, William Preston and others.
At Fort Pitt, on July 10, 1775, the chiefs and sachems of the Six Nations, in consideration of twelve thousand Spanish dollars, “or the value thereof in merchandise,” and also, “the great justice of integrity” of George Croghan to the Indians, conveyed a tract of land on the south side of the Ohio River, beginning opposite the mouth of French creek, or Beef river, etc., etc., containing by estimation six millions (6,000,000) acres. The deed was signed by six chiefs, one making the mark of “the hill,” another of “the mountain,” etc.; and was witnessed by John Campbell, Thomas Hosier and George Rootes.
On the 30th of July, 1777, George Croghan, “of Fort Pitt, in the State of Virginia,” by deed to Dr. Thomas Walker and others, in consideration of five thousand Spanish dollars, conveyed “one clear eight and fortieth part” (125,000 acres) of the tract granted by the Indians to Croghan. Among the witnesses to this deed were George Rootes and Strother Jones.
George Rootes is said to have lived in Augusta, near the Stone Church, but we have found no trace of him in our county archives. From the Catalogue of William and Mary College, we learn that, in 1771, Philip Rootes, son of Philip Rootes of Augusta, was a student at that institution; and in 1779, Thomas Rootes, of Augusta, was a student there. Strother Jones was the son of Gabriel Jones of Augusta.
The deeds herein referred to are printed in full in the book called the “Page Family in Virginia.”
The Rev. John Brown was a native of Ireland, educated at Princeton, New Jersey, and pastor of New Providence congregation for forty-four years. His residence was first near the village of Fairfield, and afterwards near the church, on the spot where the late John Withrow long resided.
Original programs & design copyright © EagleRidge Tech., Inc. 2005-2017. | Contact Us.
Edited Annals of Augusta County,Virginia, from 1726 to 1871 copyright © 2006-2017 by EagleRidge Technologies, Inc..