Waddell's Annals of Augusta County, Virginia, from 1726 to 1871


2. Mary married William Lockhart before the family removed from Augusta.

3. Ann married Archibald Roane, who was first a teacher at Liberty Hill Academy, Rockbridge, and successively Judge of the Supreme Court of Tennessee, Governor of the State, and Judge again. He died at Nashville in 1831, about seventy-one years of age.

Several other families of Campbells, not related as far as known to those just mentioned, were amongst the early settlers of Augusta. One of these was represented for many years by Dr. Samuel Campbell, of Lexington, uncle of Charles Campbell, the historian; and another by the late Rev. William G. Campbell and his nephew, Professor John L. Campbell, of Washington and Lee University.



Captain John Smith, the ancestor of the Augusta and Rockingham Smiths, appeared at Orange Court, June 26, 1740, and “proved his importation,” with the view of taking up public land. The record shows that his wife’s name was Margaret, and that his children were Abraham, Henry, Daniel, John and Joseph. They came from Ireland by way of Philadelphia, and were accompanied by Robert McDowell. Captain Smith and others qualified as captain of militia at Orange Court, June 24, 1742. We next hear of him as a captain of rangers in 1755.

The late Benjamin H. Smith. of Kanawha, a great-grandson of Captain John Smith, relates in an unpublished manuscript a series of events in the life of his ancestor, of which there is elsewhere no account. According no this narrative, at some time not stated, Captain Smith, with seventeen men, held a fort where Pattonsburg, on James river, now stands, which was invested by three hundred French and Indians. After a brave resistance for three days, the garrison agreed to surrender the fort upon the stipulation allowing them to return to their homes. Astonished and mortified at finding so few men in the fort, the enemy disregarded the terms of surrender and held the survivors, only nine or ten in number, as prisoners. Three of Captain Smith’s sons were with the party, one of whom was wounded during the siege and killed by an Indian after the surrender. The prisoners were taken by the French down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers to New Orleans, and on the way the two young Smiths, who had survived the disaster at the fort, died. Only five of the prisoners lived to reach New Orleans. The Captain and two others were sent to France, and he alone returned to America, after an absence of two years.

Whatever foundation there may be for this story, some of the details are certainly incorrect. There was a fort, so-called, at the mouth of Looney’s Creek, a mile above Pattonsburg, but it is safe to say that there never was an inroad into the Valley of three hundred French and Indians. The only Indian raid upon the Pattonsburg neighborhood, of which we have an authentic account, occurred in

[Annals Home] [Table of Contents] [Prev. Page] - - - - [Next Page]
[Advanced search]

Original programs & design copyright © EagleRidge Tech., Inc. 2005-2018. | Contact Us.
Edited Annals of Augusta County,Virginia, from 1726 to 1871 copyright © 2006-2018 by EagleRidge Technologies, Inc..

Original scans & commentaries copyright © RoaneTNHistory.org 2005-2018, except as noted. | webmaster @AT@ RoaneTNHistory.org | Privacy