Waddell's Annals of Augusta County, Virginia, from 1726 to 1871


---182---

county of Botetourt, of which he was one of the first justices of the peace.

He commanded the Botetourt regiment at Point Pleasant in 1774. In 1779-’80 he was a member of the Continental Congress at Philadelphia, and was the only person from west of the Blue Ridge who sat in that body. Being a member of the Governor’s Council in 1781, he acted as chief executive of the State for a time during that year, in the temporary absence from Richmond of Mr. Jefferson.

It is said that he was repeatedly sent by the Government to Kentucky as commissioner to settle land claims, etc., but never removed from Virginia. His death occurred in 1795, at his residence, called Bellmont, near the present town of Roanoke, and his remains were interred in the family burial ground.

The children of Col. Fleming were, 1. John, who never married; 2. William, who married Sally _____; 3. Leonard J., who married Mary, a daughter of Col. William Bowyer; 4. Priscilla, wife of Samuel Wilson; 5. Dorothy, wife of James Bratton; 6. Eliza, wife of Samuel G. Ramsey; and 7. Anne, wife of the Rev. Dr. George A. Baxter.


_______________

FORT DEFIANCE

is the name of a station on the Valley Railroad, about nine miles north of Staunton. The name has given rise to the belief that a fort stood on the spot during the Indian wars of the eighteenth century. Some imaginative or credulous persons undertake to tell about the people congregating there in times of danger, of the investment of the place by Indians, and of its defence on one or more occasions. But no fort was every built there, and the name is of comparatively recent origin. For this statement we have the authority of the venerable Adam Link, who lived at the place and conducted the mercantile business there for many years, and who remembers when the name originated. The Old Stone church, four or five hundred yards south of “Fort Defiance,” was fortified during the early times referred to, but, as far as known, was never assailed by an enemy. The report that there was a subterranean passage from the church to the spring is entirely untrue.


[Annals Home] [Table of Contents] [Prev. Page] - - - - [Next Page]
]
]
[Advanced search]

Original programs & design copyright © EagleRidge Tech., Inc. 2005-2017. | Contact Us.
Edited Annals of Augusta County,Virginia, from 1726 to 1871 copyright © 2006-2017 by EagleRidge Technologies, Inc..

Original scans & commentaries copyright © RoaneTNHistory.org 2005-2017, except as noted. | webmaster @AT@ RoaneTNHistory.org | Privacy