Waddell's Annals of Augusta County, Virginia, from 1726 to 1871


---205---

appear here the next Court, to answer the said complaint; and it is further ordered that the Church-wardens provide him Necessary Cloaths and that they in the meantime hire him out to such persons that may think proper to Imploy him”

Patrick was no doubt a white “indented servant.” His complaint came up at March court, 1765, and was dismissed, very likely to the relief of the master, who thus escaped being clothed and hired out by the church wardens, as the order required he should be.

Another order of November term, 1764, is equally curious: “Ordered that the church-wardens of Augusta Parish bind Michael Eagin of the age of nine years in September last, son of Patrick Eagin, to John Patrick, the father of the said Michael having runaway according to law. ”


_______________

THE CRAWFORDS.

Alexander and Patrick Crawford, brothers, were among the earliest settlers in Augusta county. They are presumed to have been natives of the north of Ireland, like most of their contemporaries {typo corrected} in the county, but nothing can be learned about their early history. The descendant of both say there was a third brother who also came to the Valley, but whose name they do not know. It may be that this third brother was the grand-father of William H. Crawford of Georgia, whose father, Joel Crawford, removed from Nelson county, Virginia, to South Carolina, in 1779.

Alexander Crawford, the older of the two, married Mary McPheeters, but whether in Ireland or America is not known. It is related that he was ambitious to be the founder of “a clan,” such as we read of in Scottish history, and impressed it upon his children that they must respect the right of primogeniture then existing by law. His oldest son, William, did not approve of the scheme, and thus his father’s wishes were defeated. The latter was a skilled worker in iron.

The children of Alexander and Mary Crawford were&mdash

I. William Crawford, who is named first in every list. In an old grave-yard, on a high hill overlooking Middle river, on the farm of the late Ephraim Geeding, is an ancient sand-stone, flat on the ground and broken in two. The inscription upon it, which is nearly illegible, is as follows:

“Wm. Crawford, departed this life October 15, 1792, aged 48 years.”

He was therefore twenty years old when his parents were massacred. His will was proved in court at December term, 1792. In it he mentions his wife, Rachel, and his children, Alexander, James, John, William, George, Polly, Nancy, Jenny and Rachel. He also alludes


[Annals Home] [Table of Contents] [Prev. Page] - - - - [Next Page]
]
]
[Advanced search]

Original programs & design copyright © EagleRidge Tech., Inc. 2005-2017. | Contact Us.
Edited Annals of Augusta County,Virginia, from 1726 to 1871 copyright © 2006-2017 by EagleRidge Technologies, Inc..

Original scans & commentaries copyright © RoaneTNHistory.org 2005-2017, except as noted. | webmaster @AT@ RoaneTNHistory.org | Privacy