Waddell's Annals of Augusta County, Virginia, from 1726 to 1871


---258---

The Augusta militia was called out in April, 1779, by Col. Sampson Mathews, and rendezvoused at Staunton on the 18th. The company was commanded by Capt. James Trimble. Joseph Bell of South River was orderly sergeant, and Alexander Hamilton was one of the privates. They marched to Tygart’s Valley, and returned home after an absence of three months. Hamilton states in his “declaration” that he was on several scouts, but in no battle.

By the year 1779, courthouse No. 2 required fixing up, and the sheriff was ordered to employ workmen to repair the under-pinning and windows, so that business might be done therein; and also to rent out the old courthouse, in which jailor Thomas Rhodes then lived.


_______________

THE POAGES.

Robert Poage, with many other settlers in the Valley, appeared at Orange court, May 22, 1740, to “prove his importation,” with the view of taking up public lands. The record sets forth that he, his wife, Elizabeth, and nine children, named, came from Ireland to Philadelphia, “and from thence to this colony,” at his own expense. He may have come some years earlier than the date mentioned, but we find no trace of him before that time. Alexander Breckinridge proved his importation on the same day, and very likely the two families came over in the same ship.

Mr. Poage settled on a plantation three miles north of Staunton, which he must have purchased from William Beverley, as the land was in Beverley’s Manor. The tract contained originally seven hundred and twenty-two acres. It was there, no doubt, that the young preacher, McAden, obtained his first dinner in Virginia, on Saturday, June 21, 1755.

But he acquired other lands directly from the government. There is before us a patent on parchment, executed by Governor Gooch, July 30, 1742, granting to Robert Poage three hundred and six acres of land “in the county of Orange, on the west side of the Blue Ridge,” to be held “in free and common soccage, and not in capite or by knight’s service,” in consideration of thirty-five shillings; provided the grantee should pay a fee rent of one shilling for every fifty acres, annually, “on the feast of St. Michael the Archangel,” etc. The seal attached to the patent has on it an impression of the royal crown of Great Britain.

The will of Robert Poage, dated October 20, 1773, was proved in court March 6, 1774. The executors were William Lewis and testator’s son, John. The testator mentions his sons John, Thomas, Robert, George and William; and his daughters Martha Woods,


[Annals Home] [Table of Contents] [Prev. Page] - - - - [Next Page]
]
]
[Advanced search]

Original programs & design copyright © EagleRidge Tech., Inc. 2005-2017. | Contact Us.
Edited Annals of Augusta County,Virginia, from 1726 to 1871 copyright © 2006-2017 by EagleRidge Technologies, Inc..

Original scans & commentaries copyright © RoaneTNHistory.org 2005-2017, except as noted. | webmaster @AT@ RoaneTNHistory.org | Privacy