Waddell's Annals of Augusta County, Virginia, from 1726 to 1871


preaching for some time in Washington county, Virginia, he removed to East Tennessee, then a part of North Carolina, where, with other settlers, he had now and then to take arms against the Indians. He founded Washington College, Tennessee, and was distinguished as a preacher and teacher. His death occurred December 12, 1830.



was born in Augusta, 1767, and when about fourteen years of age removed with his father to Kentucky. He subsequently studied with the Rev. Archibald Scott, in his native county, and graduated at Hampden-Sidney College in 1790. Having been licensed to preach in 1792, he was for a time associated with the Rev. William Graham as pastor of Lexington and other congregations. In 1795 he removed to Kentucky, and on the 4th of November, 1814, died near Chillicothe, Ohio. Dr. Dwight, of Yale College, pronounced Mr. Campbell “a remarkably accomplished scholar and divine.”



Among the officers furnished by Augusta county to the regular army was John Steele, of the Middlebrook neighborhood. He first appears in an ancient pay-roll as Ensign commanding a detachment of Virginia and North Carolina troops. On May 22, 1778, he was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in Capt. Curtis Kindall’s company of the regiment then styled the First Virginia, commanded by Col. William Davies; and his name appears in muster-rolls for April, May, August and September, 1779. In April, 1782, he was summoned to appear before a Court of Inquiry, at “Cumberland Old Courthouse,” to answer the charges of going to a distant part of the country while on furlough, and failing to report for duty at Staunton when ordered. A copy of his defence was lately found among a batch of old papers. He stated that he had been partially disabled by a wound, received in 1774, and by illness while a prisoner at Charleston, S. C., and therefore leave of absence was granted him. At the suggestion of Col. Davies, he undertook to do duty as a recruiting officer; and, thinking he might be more successful in a remote part of the country than elsewhere, he went to Kentucky. But the money furnished to him was so worthless that no one would take it, and he did not succeed in his mission. Col. Febiger issued an order, November 7, 1781, for him to report at Staunton, but it did not reach him till February 7, 1782, and then he was unavoidably hindered from obeying immediately. He was unanimously acquitted.

During some years after the war he was Secretary of Mississippi Territory. His letters show that he was a man of considerable culture.

[Annals Home] [Table of Contents] [Prev. Page] - - - - [Next Page]
[Advanced search]

Original programs & design copyright © EagleRidge Tech., Inc. 2005-2018. | Contact Us.
Edited Annals of Augusta County,Virginia, from 1726 to 1871 copyright © 2006-2018 by EagleRidge Technologies, Inc..

Original scans & commentaries copyright © RoaneTNHistory.org 2005-2018, except as noted. | webmaster @AT@ RoaneTNHistory.org | Privacy