Waddell's Annals of Augusta County, Virginia, from 1726 to 1871


the Warm Springs, and his descendant, Mr. Price, says pathetically: “Were it the grave of Campbell’s ‘Last Man,’ it could not be in a much less frequented place.”

Mrs. Warwick died in 1823, when she was 80 years of age. She is described as eminent for piety and many excellencies.

The children of Jacob Warwick and wife were one son, (Andrew), and six daughters. One of the daughters was the wife of Charles Cameron.



From an account of the Cameron family, by Mrs. Maria Boys Cochran Sterrett, a great-grand-daughter of Col. Charles Cameron, we have obtained most of the information embraced in the following sketch.

The first of the family who came to America, from Scotland, was Dr. John Cameron, who is said to have been a nephew of Cameron of Lochiel, chief of the clan. Dr. Cameron was one of the men who, following Lochiel, took up arms in behalf of Charles Edward, the young Pretender, in 1745. After the disastrous battle of Culloden, in 1746, he made his escape to Spain, coming from that country to the West Indies, and from thence to New York. In New York, he met and married a widow, Mrs. Margaret Murray, a native of Ireland, of Scotch descent, who had two daughters, Sarah and Mary Murray.

From New York Dr. Cameron came to Norfolk, Virginia, and there his two children were born. The older of the two, called Charles Edward, was born February 22, 1753, and the younger, George Hugh, several years afterwards.

When Charles Cameron was six years of age his father with his family removed to Staunton. After that, but exactly when is not known, it being safe for him to return to Scotland, Dr. Cameron embarked for that country, hoping to recover his property, but was lost at sea.

Charles Cameron found employment in a store in Staunton, and a few years later went to the Mossy Creek Iron Works to act as clerk for Henry Miller. When only nineteen years of age he married Mr. Miller’s daughter, Nancy, who died about six months after her marriage.

Col. Charles Lewis’ wife was Sarah Murray, the half sister of Charles Cameron, and the latter and his brother George were members of Col. Lewis’ regiment in the expedition to Point Pleasant in 1774. Charles and others were sent out to hunt for game, and when he returned he found the battle over and both his brother and brother-in-law slain.

On the 3rd of December, 1776, the Court Martial of Augusta county met at the court-house, and proceeded to choose by ballot officers “to raise two companies of regulars according to act of assembly.”

[Annals Home] [Table of Contents] [Prev. Page] - - - - [Next Page]
[Advanced search]

Original programs & design copyright © EagleRidge Tech., Inc. 2005-2018. | Contact Us.
Edited Annals of Augusta County,Virginia, from 1726 to 1871 copyright © 2006-2018 by EagleRidge Technologies, Inc..

Original scans & commentaries copyright © RoaneTNHistory.org 2005-2018, except as noted. | webmaster @AT@ RoaneTNHistory.org | Privacy