Waddell's Annals of Augusta County, Virginia, from 1726 to 1871


---355---

John Syme was chosen Captain of the first company, and Charles Cameron First Lieutenant. At a meeting of the Court held February 1, 1777, it was reported that Capt. Syme had recruited 28 men and Lieut. Cameron 20. The company was a part of the 10th Virginia regiment, commanded by Col. Stevens, and participated in the battles of Brandywine and Germantown. On the 3rd of January, 1778, Lieut. Cameron resigned his commission in the regular army, and retired to private life. What his occupation was, we are not informed; probably he was a farmer and grazier. Early in 1781, he was in the military service again as Captain of Augusta militia under Col Sampson Mathews, in lower Virginia, for a tour of three months. In the summer of 1781, he was in the field again as Captain, and was present at the battle of Jamestown, or Green Spring, in June, serving at this time for two months. His last military service was as commissary of the district composed of Augusta, Rockbridge and Rockingham counties, for furnishing supplies to the stations in Western Virginia and aiding in recruiting for the regular army. After the war he became Colonel of Militia.

In 1790, Col. Cameron was a Justice of the Peace for Augusta county. At this time he probably lived in the part of Augusta which is now Bath county; and when the latter county was organized, early in 1791, he was one of the first Justices commissioned by the Governor. He was, however, appointed Clerk of the County Court, and his office of Justice was vacated. His nephew, Charles L. Francisco, whose mother was Mary Murray, succeeded him as clerk and held the office many years.

In 1793, Col. Cameron married his second wife, Rachel, daughter of Jacob Warwick, who, like her mother, was distinguished for her piety. She was the mother of three children, two of whom died in infancy. The third, Andrew Warwick Cameron, was born June 6, 1806.

Col. Cameron died July 14, 1829. His widow survived till 1858, when she was 86 years of age.

Col. Andrew W. Cameron, only son of Charles Cameron, removed from Bath county to the vicinity of Lexington, in 1840. During the late war between the States, he had four sons in the Confederate army, and on the 18th of July, 1861, rode to Lexington to enquire the news. The stage coach from Staunton arrived at the Lexington hotel, and was surrounded by a crowd of people anxious to hear from the army, Col. Cameron being among them. One of the passengers carried a loaded minnie rifle, which was accidentally discharged, and the ball striking Col. Cameron he was instantly killed. Young William McClung was mortally wounded by the same ball, and a third person was somewhat hurt.


_______________

The Rev. WILLIAM GRAHAM,

resigned the office of Rector of Liberty Hall, September 25, 1796, and immediately set out on a journey to the western part of the State, in pursuance of a plan he had


[Annals Home] [Table of Contents] [Prev. Page] - - - - [Next Page]
]
]
[Advanced search]

Original programs & design copyright © EagleRidge Tech., Inc. 2005-2017. | Contact Us.
Edited Annals of Augusta County,Virginia, from 1726 to 1871 copyright © 2006-2017 by EagleRidge Technologies, Inc..

Original scans & commentaries copyright © RoaneTNHistory.org 2005-2017, except as noted. | webmaster @AT@ RoaneTNHistory.org | Privacy