The children of the last-named William Strother Jones were, Mrs. F. L. Barton, of Winchester; Wm. Strother Jones, now of New York; Captain James F. Jones, who was murdered in 1866; Francis B. Jones, Lieutenant-Colonel of the Second Virginia regiment, who was killed at Malvern Hill; and R. B. Jones.
Robert T. Barton, of Winchester, to whom we are indebted for much of the foregoing information, is a great-great-grandson of Gabriel Jones.
John Jones, the brother of Gabriel Jones, had a son named John Gabriel, who was born June 6, 1752, and while still a very young man went to Kentucky. In June, 1776, George Rogers Clark and John Gabriel Jones were chosen, by a popular meeting at Harrodsburg, members of the General Assembly of Virginia. Before they arrived here the Legislature had adjourned, and Jones directed his steps to the settlements on the Holston, leaving Clark to proceed to Richmond. The latter obtained from the council an order for transportation to Pittsburg of 500 pounds of gunpowder for the use of the people of Kentucky. At the Fall session of the Legislature the two agents of Kentucky were in attendance. They were not received as members, but through their influence the county of Kentucky was constituted. Clark and Jones conveyed the powder from Pittsburg down the Ohio river to a point eleven miles above the present town of Maysville, and concealed it there. In December following, Colonel John Todd and a party of men, under the guidance of Jones, went for the powder; but on Christmas day, when near the Lower Blue Lick, they were attacked by Indians. Jones and several others were killed, and the expedition was abandoned. In January, 1777, however, Colonel Harrod succeeded in finding the powder and conveying it to Harrodsburg.
John Jones, the brother of Gabriel, was not the rector of Augusta parish in colonial times. Some of the descendants of Gabriel Jones state that as far as they know he had no brother whatever. Others not only give the brother’s name, but the date of his birth.
The journal of Thomas Lewis, the first surveyor of Augusta county, of the expedition of himself and others in 1746, undertaken to establish a part of the line of Lord Fairfax’s grant, is preserved by Mr. Lewis’s descendants. It constitutes a manuscript volume of many pages, most of which record only courses and distances. But here and there are items of more or less interest. We make the following extracts:
“Wednesday, September 10th, 1746.—Set out from home in order to wait on his Majesty’s and the Right Honorable Thomas Lord Fairax’s Commissioners at Captain Downs’s, from thence to proceed to run the dividing line between his Majesty and Lord Fairfax, from the head spring of the Rappahannock to the head spring of the north
Original programs & design copyright © EagleRidge Tech., Inc. 2005-2017. | Contact Us.
Edited Annals of Augusta County,Virginia, from 1726 to 1871 copyright © 2006-2017 by EagleRidge Technologies, Inc..